For training sessions specific to CeDAR's "Data Analytics and Reporting" topics, please visit the Princeton Employee Learning Center.
Training is available for Cognos, Tableau, and IGC. For different business needs, please feel free to contact a specific Package Custodian, as they can arrange for a customized training for a central office, using a specific set of data, for either report writers or report viewers.
Cognos Analytics v11.1.7 for Report Viewers - (Zoom session)
Audience: Report Viewers (Data Consumers)
Description: These sessions are for Cognos Information Warehouse current and prospective report viewers. This session will run 1.5 hours with additional time for questions. Enrollment will close 8am the Monday before the Thursday session. A Zoom meeting invitation will be sent out a day or two before the session.
You will learn how to:
1) Access the Cognos Content Store
2) Use the Search tool to find a report, save a search use the search filter to refine your search.
3) Use "Run as" feature to run a report not, or at a later time.
4) Subscribe to a report that is delivered to you on a recurring basis.
5) Use the schedule window to view versions, modify or delete your subscription.
Cognos Analytics v11.1.7 for New Report Authors/Writers - (Zoom session)
Audience: Report Authors/Writers
Description: These sessions are for Cognos Information Warehouse report authors/writers. This class offers introductory report writin techniques for both current and prospective Cognos report authors/writers. This class is offered in 3-hour sessions, over 2 consecutive days, with a break mid-session each day. You must enroll for both sessions. Enrollment will close 8am a few days before the session date. A Zoom meeting invitation will be sent out a day or two before the session.
You will learn how to:
1) Access the Cognos Content Store
2) Create, run and save list and crosstab reports
3) Add grouping, aggregation, and calculations
4) Create report filters, add prompts an prompt pages
5) Add formatting to your report
6) Schedule a report to run on a recurring basis
7) Use the schedule window to view versions, modify or delete your subscription
8) Create simple visualizations including a pie and bar chart
9) Create a dashboard (group of visualizations and reports)
10) Use the Search tool to find a report, save a search, and use the search filter to refine your search.
Cognos Analytics v11.1.7: Visualizations for Report Writers
Audience: New and Current Report Writers
Description: These sessions are an introduction to visualization creation for both current and prospective Cognos report writers/authors. This is a 1/2-day session.
You will learn:
- How to navigate within the reporting tool, view and interact with content.
- Create and modify visualizations including, yet not limited to: bar and pie charts, location and heat maps, cluster charts, box & whisker plots, bubble charts & word clouds.
- We'll also explore using trend lines, minimum/maximum indicators.
Cognos Analytics: The Role of a Package Custodian
Audience: Package Custodians Only
Description: These sessions are strictly for Package Custodians. We will take a tour of the tool walk through a typical role of a Package Custodian.
- Sessions will be offered on an "as needed" basis.
- An eLearning video will be made available to cover this content ASAP
- A QRC is available
Cognos: Data Fanalytics
CeDAR offers a series of 60-90 minute workshops that provide a closer look at some of the data visualization features in Cognos. In these, we’ll focus on specific topics which will introduce you to tips and tricks of the tool to help spice up your reports and dashboards.
*Also offered for Tableau
Information Governance Catalog (IGC)
The Information Governance Catalog (IGC) is an interactive, web-based tool that allows users to explore, understand and analyze metadata and information within a central catalog, including categories, terms and collections.
The business glossary is designed to help users understand and adopt a common business language and business meaning of information assets found within BI reports.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Navigate categories and understand hierarchy structure to access terms and definitions
- Create queries to search categories for terms and definitions
- Create collections to manage your terms and definitions
- Explore metadata assets
Tableau Desktop - Create & Publish Dynamic Visualizations
Connect to your data and perform queries without writing a single line of code. Stay in the flow as you shift between views with drag-and-drop technology. Drive decisions using data. Combine multiple views into interactive dashboards. Highlight and filter data to show relationships. String together specific insights into a guided story to explain the ‘why’ behind your data.
This course is designed for the beginner. It is for anyone who works with Princeton data, whether it be from a technical or analytical standpoint. It’s designed to help you understand and use the concepts and techniques in Tableau to move from simple to complex visualizations and learn how to combine them in interactive dashboards.
Introduction to Tableau for Interactors (Data Consumers)
Tableau Interactor classes are available to data consumers who wish to learn more about interacting with Tableau visualizations published on a Tableau site, including visualizations published with an underlying data set. These classes are not intended to teach creating new visualizations using Tableau Desktop, only interacting with published visualizations on a Tableau site.
Tableau: Data Fanalytics
CeDAR offers a series of 60-90 minute workshops that provide a closer look at some of Tableau’s data visualization features. In these, we’ll focus on specific topics, moving beyond the introductory material and introducing you to tips and tricks of the tool to help spice up your dashboards.
*Also offered for Cognos